Friday, June 24, 2011

From A Different Shore


Alright, just so everyone knows, the beach is not really an ideal place to force yourself into thinking about the real world, whatever that may be to you. Personally, I don't care for the real world all that much, but seeing as that's where I usually find myself, I think I can find a way to get along. For one, at least in the way I tend to imagine things, everyday life shouldn't have to include a lot of excess bullshit we aren't interested in doing or worrying about. Here and there, maybe, but in the general scheme of things I picture feeling a lot more free. So if you found me one day actually living on the beach, sandy and unkempt, I'd probably just say something ornery like WHAT, this doesn't look real enough for you? Secondly, if the whole point of vacation is to vacate your house and mind, one being easier than the other, then I've been doing my best to follow the rules of having a fun and worry-free week. It is not as easy as throwing on SPF 60 and sitting in the sand. Most of the time, if I want to stop thinking, I had better be asleep, and even then I am not completely off the hook.

STILL, while on vacation, with a lot less to do that seems pressing and urgent, I find myself with a lot of dangerous free-brain time. As I said before, I'm lost in thought for most of my waking life, anyway. But not having additional commitments or unchosen monopoly of what I will always (and unapologetically) consider MY TIME, I've had a little more occasion to devote to sincere consideration of the options before me.

Less time to actually work on such thoughts, however, seeing as the internet connection has been spotty and the distraction of the sandy shore is in my literal back yard. (Prioritizing doesn't mean we acknowledge everything that proclaims importance. It's just a way of realizing what's important for right now.) Sorry to say it, folks, but this week was more about getting prematurely sunburnt and baby terrapins (YES) and red beach cruisers with wide white baskets and matching saddles. I stuck my feet in the ocean and shrugged it off. I read books from start to finish and I ate a lottt of boardwalk food. I feel a little sickish, but it was worth it.

All said and done, I continued to look (occasionally), I applied for two jobs, both hopefully promising. (All those interested in a challenging but personal workplace that promotes both excellence and sense of humor, see Tough Mudder.) I worked on my Linked In profile a little bit. (Do you have one of those? I'm still working out the kinks, but I imagine it to be somewhat useful sometime soon. We'll see.) Basically, I tended to my duties without disrespecting the fact that there were beachside sunsets to watch and seagulls to shoo away and lots of porch-sitting to do.

It all ends tomorrow. And I would go back to work on Monday, but. Well, that's another post. The point is, there is no reason to ignore what we want, even if it means we continue working through the vacation time (paid or not) and the storm (however long it holds out). Change doesn't take a break. And I guess, neither do I.




No comments:

Post a Comment