Wednesday, July 27, 2011

The Post-Interview Update


Since graduating college in May of 2009 I have had four job interviews: one with Starbucks Coffee Company (ahem), one as a barista with Small World Coffee, where my apron would have been red (which I sadly had to turn down), one as a cashier with Whole Foods Market, which did not pan out, and one as a part-time teller with Beneficial Bank.

So, when people say the economy is bad, they're not fucking kidding.

(About that, though. I'm a little worried that we're gearing ourselves up for a comeback that isn't quite in on the horizon just yet, isn't even on the other side of things, far into the distance but close enough to be a speck or a dot or a fleck of nothingness so that we can all put our hands to our brows and say, "What's that, what's that coming up there over the hill?" I don't see it yet, and I don't see it soon. Not to be a frowny-face or anything, but every time someone says things like, it'll turn around, give it time, or it's a bad market for everyone, I want to shake my head or roll my eyes. Even though I recognize the truth of these things, I'm afraid "time" may end up being a little longer than we'd like to imagine it. But more on this later.)

So my most recent interview, with Beneficial, was this past Tuesday morning. It went well, actually. Sarah, my very eager interviewer, educated me in the history of Beneficial's founding, its merging with Farmers and Mechanics, its functional policies. She told me I seemed like a very intelligent person, a statement that I found flattering in lieu of my rather rusty interviewing skills.

For example:

1. The answer to any question is never "Uh," unless that question should specifically be, "What is the wrong thing to say when hoping to make a good impression of your communicative skills?" (See also Um, Like, Yeah, and Dude.)
2. When you haven't worn a (yellow! yes!) pencil skirt and heels in, well, months, finding the appropriate way to sit isn't the easiest thing in the world. Crossing at the ankles is probably always your best and least-fidgety bet, ladies.
3. It's okay to think about your answers. I mean, that way you avoid Dilemma #1, plus that way you're really giving honest, reflective responses. (For more tips in this department, go here.) I'd rather see someone think before they speak, awkward pause included, then cringe as they stumble over their words without really saying anything at all.

But. I don't want to be a teller. Or a banker. I don't want to approve loans or settlements or talk people into upgrading their accounts. Plus, I'm really bad at math, which I'm assuming in this circumstance would be an automatic strike against me.

Still, overall, it was fine. I'm not stoked on the job itself, but we'll see what happens. In fact, I reeeeally don't want to do it. Being only part-time, I suppose it has potential to be a second job, which wouldn't necessarily aid in the de-stressing I've been hoping for, but it would up my income, which is an altogether different peace of mind.

If interviews don't turn into jobs, or aren't even for jobs that you necessarily hope to get, it's still good practice for the bigger, future interviews, whenever they should show themselves. If I got called tomorrow for a more promising prospect, I'd be a little more prepared for it than I was one week ago. It's reason to be grateful, OR it's finding a reason to be grateful. It's forcing the silver-lining just a little, but I'm okay with that. If that's the only way to find it, then find it. Over and over again.



No comments:

Post a Comment